- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day
- Test news
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides
43rd Navasartian Games Victory Banquet Celebrates Homenetmen’s Centennial06:20 11 July 2018
BEVERLY HILLS—Homenetmen Western Region’s 43rd Navasartian Games Victory Banquet was held on Sunday, July 1, at The Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, California. The event served as a prime occasion to celebrate the organization’s vast work and activities.
Honorary Presidents of the 43rd Navasartian Games, Mr. and Mrs. Hamlet and Greta Chraghchian, as well as this year’s Exemplary Homenetmen Member Koko Balian, praised the organization’s work in their speeches and paid special mention to the dedicated volunteers carrying Homenetmen’s mission forward.
Guests in attendance included His Eminence Archbishop Moushegh Mardirossian, Consul Armela Shakarian, elected officials, Homenetmen Central Executive member Vicken Tavitian, Regional Executive Members, benefactors, members, and supporters.
The event’s official program began with a flag ceremony by Homenetmen scouts, followed by the singing of anthems by Ivana Krikorian.
During the invocation, Archbishop Mardirossian commended the work of the 100-year-old organization and its volunteers and blessed the tables.
Master of Ceremonies Charlie Ghailian delivered welcoming remarks and recognized the official guests in attendance, including Honorary Presidents and Exemplary Homenetmen Members from years past. He paid special mention to the fact that the event allows the opportunity to not only pay respect to the current Honorary President and Exemplary Homenetmen Member, but also the organization’s countless volunteers — be they executive members or members of various committees. Ghailian informed that the Victory Banquet’s sponsors are well-known community members and benefactors Mr. and Mrs. Varant and Hoori Melkonian.
Following the viewing of a short video depicting the 100-year history of the organization, Regional Executive Chairperson Manuel Marselian addressed guests. He explained that — 50 years ago in Los Angeles — a group of individuals had the vision of integrating Homenetmen into the fabric of society, the result of which became the region’s current 19 chapters and 6,500 members.
Marselian noted that this year marks Homenetmen’s centennial and stated, “In remembering the past, we appreciate the fact that, in order to survive, it is imperative that the organization continues to grow.” He explained that, for the first time this year, 20 children with special needs are participating in the 2018 Navasartian Games under the organization’s new program, “Hrashq.”
Thereafter, Chairperson Marselian introduced the 43rd Navasartian Games’ Honorary Presidents Mr. and Mrs. Hamlet and Greta Chraghchian and Exemplary Homenetmen Member Koko Balian.
Mr. Chraghchian began his involvement in the organization with the “Ararat” association in Tehran, Iran 60 years ago and continues his active participation until this day. He has been a member of the Ararat Chapter, served as the chapter’s chairperson, as well as a Regional Executive member, Central Executive member, and delegate of numerous representatives’ meetings and conventions. His life has been closely linked to the organization’s ideology.
“Understanding and believing in the ideals of Homenetmen, the Chraghchian couple has served this organization with conviction for years,” Marselian said.
Next, Marselian introduced Koko Balian, who has been a faithful volunteer of Homenetmen since his early scouting years.
“Koko Balian has dedicated his entire life to Homenetmen and its principles. His dedication started at the age of 10 as a scout in Lebanon and has reached the United States — first in Boston and then Los Angeles. For years, he has been a member of the Regional Executive, both as a board member and Chairperson. Further, he has served for three terms as a member of the Central Executive,” Marselian said.
In concluding his remarks, Marselian expressed sincere appreciation to Mr. and Mrs. Varant and Hoori Melkonian for sponsoring the event.
Prior to dinner, guests watched a video depicting the organization’s programs activities in the western region.
The event’s official program continued with a video clip portraying photos of Exemplary Homenetmen Member Koko Balian’s service to the organization. Balian was then invited to the podium and expressed his appreciation for being bestowed with the honor.
“It is Homenetmen that has kept generations, including myself, on the right path and brought us up with our Armenian national identity,” Balian said. “Homenetmen has also served as a social environment where Armenian youth have formed a family. I, myself, met my life partner, Armine, through Homenetmen. Alongside the home and school, Homenetmen has given me so much and I consider it my duty to give back to the organization all that I can.”
“The supporters of Homenetmen are worthy of so much respect and honor, especially those who work and volunteer with no expectations in return,” Balian concluded.
In paying tribute to his honor, Marselian presented Balian with a symbolic plaque.
Guests then viewed a video clip depicting Hamlet Chraghchian’s work and service in the organization, after which Honorary Presidents Mr. and Mrs. Hamlet and Great Chraghchian were invited to the podium.
In his remarks, Mr. Chraghchian praised the organization and mentioned Homenetmen’s major role in the national and physical education of Armenian youth following the Genocide. He mentioned the importance of remembering dedicated Homenetmen members from the past and paying respect to the will and belief they demonstrated to the organization. Chraghchian called upon members to continue to actively and enthusiastically serve the organization, which is the most successful in preserving the Armenian identity.
He further expressed thanks for the succession planning taking place in the organization in preparing future generations and passing on experience to new members. He explained that it gives him great joy to see his three children, Patrick, Pierre, and Milene, along with his grandchildren, serving Homenetmen.
“Seeing them and other youth like them relieves my concerns and assures me that the organization will continue to remain glorious in the next 100 years,” Chraghchian said.
The previous year’s Honorary Presidents Mr. and Mrs. Vicken and Nono Apelian were then invited to the stage, and the Honorary President’s tricolor ribbon was passed on to the Chraghchians.
The program concluded with a cake (donated by Sarkis Pastry) cutting ceremony to mark Homenetmen’s centennial anniversary. Honorary Presidents and Exemplary Homenetmen Member from prior years were invited to participate, alongside Central Executive member Vicken Tavitian.
Guests enjoyed the rest of their evening with entertainment by Allen G. and band.
- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic 16:27 22 Sep 2021
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool 16:23 22 Sep 2021
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya 16:20 22 Sep 2021
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia 16:19 22 Sep 2021
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan 16:18 22 Sep 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day 16:17 22 Sep 2021
- Test news 00:00 24 Aug 2021
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան 14:13 1 June 2021
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh 09:43 26 May 2021
- Wearing masks in open-air areas will not be mandatory in Armenia from June 1 09:38 26 May 2021
- No incidents were registered in Sisian section of border: Defense Ministry 09:35 26 May 2021
- Tete-a-tete meeting of Ara Aivazian and Mohammad Javad Zarif commenced 09:30 26 May 2021
- Tensions on Armenian-Azerbaijani border demand immediate measures: CSTO Deputy Secretary General 09:25 26 May 2021
- President, Human Rights Defender discuss situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border 09:25 26 May 2021
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides 08:39 26 May 2021
- President Armen Sarkissian received the Ambassador of France to Armenia Jonathan Lacôte 07:02 26 May 2021
- Armenian-Iranian business forum held in Tehran 06:00 26 May 2021
- Armenian Genocide Commemorative Committee Announcement 12:25 19 Mar 2021
- Billboards Call on President Biden to Recognize Armenian Genocide 12:22 19 Mar 2021
- Azerbaijan Destroying and Falsifying Historical Facts of Armenian Monuments in Occupied Territories of Artsakh 12:16 19 Mar 2021
- 05:45 29 Sep 2018 Mnatsakanyan, Mammadyarov Hold ‘Useful’ Meeting The foreign ministers of Armenia and Azerbaijan, Zohrab Mnatsakanyan and Elmar Mammadyarov held what they called a ‘useful’ round of negotiations in New York to discuss the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict resolution process.
- 06:34 27 Sep 2018 ANC-WR Leads California Officials and Business Reps. on Historic Trip to Armenia A delegation consisting of prominent California elected officials and business representatives along with representatives from the Armenian National Committee of America – Western Region participated in a week long in depth visit to Armenia.
- 05:10 26 Sep 2018 The Necessity of Preserving Western Armenian A nation’s identity, its culture, its values, and the preservation of its heritage is dependent on its language.
- 16:27 22 Sep 2021 Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic Get vaccinated.
- 16:23 22 Sep 2021 Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool Press pool filed a formal complaint after being denied questions
- 16:19 22 Sep 2021 Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia Frank Pallone, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues, sent a congratulatory message on Armenia's Independence Day,
- 07:49 6 Sep 2018 Franchise Conference Connects U.S. Businesses with Armenian Investors The United States Embassy in Yerevan and the U.S. Commercial Service in Moscow, in partnership with IDBank, organized a one-day conference focused on franchise business opportunities on September 5 in Yerevan.
- 07:30 25 Aug 2018 Transport Minister instructs to put more effort in North-South Highway The construction works delayed in Talin-Lanjik and Lanjik-Gyumri section of the North-South Highway should be continued faster.
- 05:40 9 November 2017 Family Living In Fear Of Landmines In Artsakh Inspires HALO Crowdfunding Campaign An innovative crowdfunding campaign to clear a minefield in Harar village in Artsakh launched on Friday.