- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day
- Test news
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides
“This is one of the backbone and fundamental bills”07:43 13 Oct 2017
On the initiative of the Standing Committee on Defense and Security, NA, RA, in the parliamentary session hall parliamentary hearings were held on the “New Regulations in the Legislation on Conscription and Military Service”, which were attended by Members of the National Assembly, representatives from the Government, political forces, interested agencies and institutions, as well as of academic, expert and educational circles.
New legislative provisions concerning the military service anticipate essential changes in the field of army recruitment, and military service, including the organization of combat duty. According to the RA Defense Minister Vigen Sargsyan, these legislative regulations pursue three main goals: legal support for the implementation of constitutional reforms, their codification and consolidation, and creation of a legal framework for the programs “I Am” and “I Have the Honour”. The policy underlying this legislative regulation is to make the military service in the Armed Forces a social elevator both for the commissioned officers and the juniors enlisted, to ensure the servicemen’s integration into the society, to increase the efficiency of the reserve, to replace the majority of the determents with privileges, and to reinforce the public confidence in the Armed Forces.
“Iravunk” had a talk with Lieutenant General Hayk Kotanjian, Head, National Defense Research University, MOD, RA, Doctor of Political Science, Professor, on all the above-said, as well as on the criticism voiced during the parliamentary hearings. He did qualify this as a genuinely multi-stage, multi-layer and “smart power” manifestation work.
“WE STILL GOT A LOT TO BURN, A LOT TO CRYSTALLIZE”
“From the perspective of ensuring the guarantees for the security of our state goals, main directions of activity and protection, this is one of the backbone and fundamental bills. Of course, we still have got a lot of bricks to burn, a lot of things to crystallize, and it was unveiled during the discussion by the Defense Minister Vigen Sargsyan, too. But at the core there is a fertile soil, and it is indeed an aftermath of a clever, balanced and coordinated work.”
“Mr. Lieutenant General, according to the opponents of the bill, this legislative regulation is due to
demographic issues… What can you say about this?”
“From the legal point of view, this is a well-development elaboration, which reflects, I believe, first and foremost, the constitutional norms, which are directed towards the complete portrayal of features of the Republic of Armenia as a social and parliamentary state. Meanwhile, the demographic specters, without which it becomes impossible to draft a suchlike document, are also reflected. Simply, the most important thing is that it has been developed from equitable and balanced standpoints.
“THE ROLE OF THE APOSTOLIC CHURCH IS INVALUABLE”
“By the way, in the course of the discussions, some human rights defenders tried to put equality signs between the Armenian Apostolic Church and Jehova’s Witnesses, and complained from the spiritual ministers’ presence in the army. As an experienced military man of years long practice, how do you relate to this?”
To my mind, our Minister, Mr. Vigen Sargsyan, gave a complete answer to this, i.e., from the point of provision of freedoms, principles and norms of democracy, the attitude is the same and equal, but in relation to the role-playing, of course, the mission of our Apostolic Church is invaluable from the point of formation and development of our state, including its defense and security.
“Another concern raised was that after the adoption of this legislative regulation, we will no longer have young scientists, as young people will have the opportunity of working in the field of science only after the age of 30 having completed the military service. In your opinion, is this a problem or not?”
“I don’t see any problem. It is about the quality of academic and educational processes. And I think it is important how the military service and the academic activity, embracing both educational and academic components, are going to be combined. So, as Radik Martirosyan, President of the NAS, RA, put it, this is a matter of the correct elaboration and implementation of mechanisms.
- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic 16:27 22 Sep 2021
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool 16:23 22 Sep 2021
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya 16:20 22 Sep 2021
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia 16:19 22 Sep 2021
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan 16:18 22 Sep 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day 16:17 22 Sep 2021
- Test news 00:00 24 Aug 2021
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան 14:13 1 June 2021
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh 09:43 26 May 2021
- Wearing masks in open-air areas will not be mandatory in Armenia from June 1 09:38 26 May 2021
- No incidents were registered in Sisian section of border: Defense Ministry 09:35 26 May 2021
- Tete-a-tete meeting of Ara Aivazian and Mohammad Javad Zarif commenced 09:30 26 May 2021
- Tensions on Armenian-Azerbaijani border demand immediate measures: CSTO Deputy Secretary General 09:25 26 May 2021
- President, Human Rights Defender discuss situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border 09:25 26 May 2021
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides 08:39 26 May 2021
- President Armen Sarkissian received the Ambassador of France to Armenia Jonathan Lacôte 07:02 26 May 2021
- Armenian-Iranian business forum held in Tehran 06:00 26 May 2021
- Armenian Genocide Commemorative Committee Announcement 12:25 19 Mar 2021
- Billboards Call on President Biden to Recognize Armenian Genocide 12:22 19 Mar 2021
- Azerbaijan Destroying and Falsifying Historical Facts of Armenian Monuments in Occupied Territories of Artsakh 12:16 19 Mar 2021
- 16:20 22 Sep 2021 We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya Makunts praised statements from the US State Department after the Nagorno-Karabakh war for the need for prisoners of war to be returned.
- 13:01 3 Mar 2018 Socially vulnerable group isn’t aware of its rights We are keen on periodically raise issues related to this social group.
- 05:44 27 Jan 2018 Everyone is responsible for protecting the human rights: Dr. Shirin Ebadi In 2009, Dr. Ebadi's award was allegedly confiscated by Iranian authorities, though this was later denied by the Iranian government.
- 16:27 22 Sep 2021 Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic Get vaccinated.
- 16:23 22 Sep 2021 Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool Press pool filed a formal complaint after being denied questions
- 16:19 22 Sep 2021 Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia Frank Pallone, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues, sent a congratulatory message on Armenia's Independence Day,
- 07:49 6 Sep 2018 Franchise Conference Connects U.S. Businesses with Armenian Investors The United States Embassy in Yerevan and the U.S. Commercial Service in Moscow, in partnership with IDBank, organized a one-day conference focused on franchise business opportunities on September 5 in Yerevan.
- 07:30 25 Aug 2018 Transport Minister instructs to put more effort in North-South Highway The construction works delayed in Talin-Lanjik and Lanjik-Gyumri section of the North-South Highway should be continued faster.
- 05:40 9 November 2017 Family Living In Fear Of Landmines In Artsakh Inspires HALO Crowdfunding Campaign An innovative crowdfunding campaign to clear a minefield in Harar village in Artsakh launched on Friday.